Aubrey Panton, known as Aub was a QLD based Dance Teacher who like so many others dedicated his life to dance.
Born in 1909 Aub was a community-minded person that enjoyed helping in so many ways:
- 1924 Aubrey became a Boy Scout Leader and Later (1955) a District Commissioner
- 1927 Honorary Instructor of St Lukes C.O.E Gymnastic Club Ekibin
- 1928-34 Member of the Metropolitan (Bribie Island) and Surfers Paradise Lifesaving Clubs – Receiving the Royal Life Saving Society Award of Merit and the Queensland Cross.
- 1935 Foundation Member of the Qld Society of Ballroom Dancing. Serving as Vice President for several years (awarded a Life Membership) As a Ballroom Dance Teacher, Aub trained (gratis) numerous competition dancers to Championship Status including Queensland Australian and 1956 Olympic ballroom Champions and Australian Champions 1959
- 1934-36 Aubrey Panton was the floor manager of both Blue Moon Dasant located at South Brisbane and the Brisbane Trocadero.
- 1934 Commenced the Aub Panton Dance Studio – still teaching in 1994 and proudly claimed to be the “oldest” qualified dance teacher practicing in Queensland.
- 1941 Aub enlisted on June 24st 1941 in the Australian Army Medical Corp and served as Corporal with the 5th Australian Ambulance Unit
- 1957 Joined Yellow Cabs Brisbane as an Owner drive and Controlling Committee Member. Retired in 1975
- 1957 onwards Aub Panton taught and conducted dances in and around the Brisbane surrounds in a voluntary capacity, working with charitable organisations and sporting bodies. Conducted examinations for Medal tests, Dancing Certificates up to and including Teachers Diplomas
- 1970-82 Instructor and President of the “Over 35” Social Club Clayfied
- 1972-82 Instructor, MC Moorooka Bowls Social Club
- 1978-82 Instructor, MC Wynnum Senior Citizens Leisure Club Center
- 1982-88 MC, Organiser Friendly Dance CLub Morningside School of Arts
- 1986-89 Instructor, MC RSL Riverside Ballroom New Farm
- 1989 MC Police Youth Club Lang Park Milton
- 1990-94 Instructor, MC, Organiser Police Youth Club Lang Park Milton
- 1988 Fundraising Endeavour Foundation HeadQuarters Camp Hill
- 1991 Assisted University Student at the Cultural Center South Brisbane. Social Environment Course.
- 1984 Mr Panton was nominated for and received the Brisbane City Council Australia Day Award in appreciation of his service to the community
- 1994 June Aubrey Panton was nominated and received a Premiers 1994 “Queenslander of the Year” for Services to the Community and to Queensland
- 1995 Aubrey Panton was awarded the Order of Australia Medal on the Queens Birthday Honours list for “Services to the Ballroom dance community over a 60 year career as Instructor and administrator.” The Investiture was at Government House on September 22nd and presented by the Queensland Governor Mrs Leneen Forde.
A snippet from Aubs’ memoirs “Down Memory Lane”
Like so many treasures, as time goes by, photos fade as do memories, so whatever treasures you have, from whatever era, in whatever condition, please don’t let them be lost. You are the story of Australian Dance History.